Saturday, November 27, 2010

Hello from Ontario!

Hi all! We are writing to you from Vineland, ON. It's day 2 of our four day tour in southern Ontario, and we are having a great time! Yesterday we sang/spoke at 5 events at Rockway Mennonite Collegiate, beginning with chapel at 9:20 with 300 students, and then speaking to 3 classes throughout the day, ending with a concert in the evening. Fun day! This evening we were at Vineland United Mennonite Church for a fundraiser, and sang/spoke to 120 folks, sold lots of cds, and raised money for AIDS work. It has been a good two days! Tomorrow morning we are back at the Vineland church for the worship service, and then we are off to Leamington for an evening concert.

People have been so gracious, warm and affirming, and we have been told over and over to not stop what we are doing to promote the crisis of AIDS, and the work that MCC partners are doing with AIDS. 33 million people living with HIV/AIDS, 15 million orphans, and generations lost to AIDS. Poverty, desperation, hunger, violence, lack of access to basic resources like food, water, education, war, rape as a tool of war...that is AIDS. Every time we view the video on the Take Your Place dvd and see the people that we met in places like Najile, and remember their stories, their kindness and hospitality, their struggles, we are reminded why it is so important to keep doing what we do.

1 comment:

  1. Kim,

    Your first CD was given to me by my aunt when I was about 4 months pregnant with my first two (twins) children. Her brother, my father, had died in an accident the month before. The CD brought me much comfort in those days of conflicting emotions. My aunt and my father both grew up in Vineland Mennonite Church and attended Rockway. Additionally, my babies were born on November 26, 2001. So, today, when I visited your blog for the first time and saw this entry from last November when you sang at Rockway on November 26 and at Vineland Mennonite Church on November 27, I had to write and share with you how important all of your music has been to me. I instantly resonated with the lullabies on the first CD and have loved your music ever since. It reminds me of the important things in life and helps me find balance on many days that are too full. One of my dad's sayings was 'the main thing is that the main thing remains the main thing' Your music helps me keep the main thing front and center.

    My mother and stepfather visited Kenya last month and so again, I feel connected to your cause and your newest music. I have always dreamed of going to Africa on service. May it come to be so someday. In the meantime, I pray for you and the important work you are doing, and I look forward to attending your concert at Zion Mennonite in PA in April.

    ReplyDelete